Finnish airport operator Finavia has begun extensive renovation works to Helsinki Airport’s Terminal 2. The work, which has a subject-to-change completion date of summer 2023, will completely revamp T2’s existing departure lounge and arrivals hall, and integrate them into the gate area and centralized baggage claim hall.
The work, which is taking place a year ahead of schedule, will cover approximately 35,000m2 and is part of the Helsinki Airport development program, which will see the extension of Terminal 2.
In addition to the renovation work, the terminal is currently being expanded by 42,000m2. In the new terminal area, there will be a new main entrance to be opened in 2022, as well as a new departure lounge and arrivals hall.
“We are able to start the renovation work one year in advance, as the number of passengers and flights has decreased significantly due to the Covid-19 pandemic. In this way, passengers will also be able to enjoy the new facilities earlier than planned,” said Tuomo Lindstedt, project manager of the Terminal 2 extension project.
Finavia’s overall investment program in brief
- Terminal floor area increased by 45% (103,000m2). The total area of the terminal in 2024 will be more than 250,000m2.
- More bridge gates to wide-body aircrafts: 100% increase.
- More luggage handling capacity: 50% increase.
- More passport control capacity: 50% increase.
- Renovated apron area (aircraft parking areas and taxiways) amounts to 450,000m2, corresponding to an area of around 90 football fields.
- A new multimodal travel center, linking different modes of transport.
- More parking spaces: 4,800 parking spaces (extension to Carpark P5 and a new parking garage)
- Finavia’s investment: approximately Euro 1bn (US$1.2bn).