United Airlines and restaurateur OTG have completed the construction of a new expansive food hall in Terminal C at Newark Liberty International Airport, New Jersey.
The Global Bazaar features a wide variety of offerings sourced from New York’s diverse and globally-inspired food culture, in addition to its market offering of news, gift and locally sourced retail.
With 30% of all travelers passing through Terminal C during breakfast hours, OTG worked with architecture and design firm Rockwell Group to develop a creative solution that physically differentiates breakfast concepts from lunch and dinner. The space transforms as the day progresses, with rotating signs and a change in food offerings. After the breakfast rush departs, the Bazaar’s space automatically adapts to accommodate the lunch and dinner crowd.
“Developing the best possible experience for Terminal C’s travelers required a lot of imagination from our design, culinary and tech teams,” said Rick Blatstein, CEO at OTG.
“This space is truly the first of its kind – the Bazaar changes as we move through the day. The space’s unique and immersive design, intuitive technology and, of course, great food is something we are incredibly proud to offer to United customers.”
Jill Kaplan, president, New York/New Jersey for United Airlines, said, “We’re thrilled that our customers will now be able to enjoy new culinary experiences from notable New York area chefs within the Global Bazaar.
“As we continue to work closely with OTG to create a world-class airport experience for our customers in the Tri-State area, we are excited by the new concepts and investments that have gone into the continual improvements at Terminal C.”
Concepts that change throughout the day include:
• Creperie Juliet, which features both sweet and savory crepes, such as the S’mores Chocolate and Marshmallow crepe and Mushroom, Spinach and Cheese. This transforms into its lunch and dinner counterpart, Wabi Sabi, a dim sum concept with egg rolls, pork gyoza, scallion pancakes and lo mein.
• Flip Flop Pancake Shop, which serves breakfast pancakes, transforms into Notorious P.I.G., offering pulled pork, brisket and BBQ Pork Ribs.
• Breakfast Boli, focusing on breakfast based Stromboli, changes into Uptop Pizza, specializing in customizable, build-your-own personal pizzas.
• Eggy Weggy, with a variety of breakfast sandwiches, transforms into Custom Burger, featuring a menu of carefully crafted burgers and sandwiches.
• Supreme Bowl brings travelers a range of breakfast bowls, while its lunch and dinner counterpart, Philly Cheesesteaks, specializes in crafting the perfect cheesesteak.
• Poppy’s Bagels are hand rolled and baked daily just a few yards away at Mélange Bakery & Chocolaterie. This transforms into Casciano’s, which is an Italian specialty sandwich shop.
Permanent concepts include:
• Mélange Bakery, a 24/7 from-scratch bakery developed with Chef Jacques Torres, which develops hand crafted baked goods and confections for all Terminal C markets and restaurants.
• Kaedama, a Tokyo-style slurp shop centrally located in the Bazaar providing travelers traditional and fusion ramen with fresh-pulled noodles, small plates, soups and dumplings.
• Tsukiji Fishroom features freshly made sushi made on site using fish flown direct from Tokyo’s famed Tsukiji Fish Market weekly by United.