Munich recognized for CO2 efforts

LinkedIn +

The international climate protection organization CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project) has again recognized Germany’s Munich Airport for its climate protection efforts.

For the third consecutive year, Munich has achieved Leadership Level and earned an A- rating in the Climate Change category.

CDP collects data on climate change measures by companies and assigns ratings between A and D-. In 2019 a total of 8,361 companies around the world submitted data. With an A- rating, Munich Airport is among the top 8% in its category.

Munich Airport is gradually moving toward net-zero carbon status. By 2030, the airport expects to have reduced its total emissions by 60%. The remaining 40% will be eliminated through appropriate offsetting measures, preferably through climate protection projects in the airport region. Munich is investing a total of €150m (US$165m) in this ambitious climate protection program. The airport intends to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2050.

Welcoming the announcement, Jost Lammers, the CEO and president of Munich Airport, said, “Our CDP score confirms that we are on the right track to successfully implement the Net Zero 2050 resolution of Airports Council International (ACI) Europe in line with the Paris Agreement and the EU climate neutrality target.”

Among the measures in support of the target was the retrofit of the airport’s ramp lighting with energy-saving LED technology at a cost of €2m (US$2.2m). With 185,000 LEDs positioned in around 1,900 luminaires mounted on masts up to 34m (111ft) tall, the project created one of the world’s largest high-mast LED installations. The resulting savings in CO2 emissions amount to approximately 3,000 tons per year.

The results of the latest study released by the CDP are available here.

Share this story:

About Author


Tara has worked for UKi Media & Events since 2013, initially as a freelancer. She has been a journalist for over a decade and has worked for a range of publications, including Personnel Today, Management Today and The Grocer.

Comments are closed.