Munich Airport targets carbon neutrality by 2030

LinkedIn +

Flughafen Munchen, the operator of Munich Airport in Germany, has unveiled a new set of climate protection measures that aim to make Munich the first carbon neutral airport in Germany.

The program aims to reduce CO₂ emissions directly generated as a consequence of airport operations by 60% by 2030. The remaining 40% will take the form of carbon offsets, which will be generated whenever possible through certified projects at a regional level. It is estimated that the climate protection program will be delivered at a cost of €150m (US$159m) by 2030.

To achieve its target, Flughafen Munchen will look to make changes to the airport’s energy supply, the efficiency of its building systems, the optimization of its vehicle fleet, exterior lighting, and the energy efficiency of its baggage transport system. The improvements range from intelligent control technologies to climate-optimized facades, including a switch to LED technology for runway lighting, increased reliance of renewable energy sources and greater use of electro-mobility in the airport’s vehicle fleet.

Dr Markus Söder, the Bavarian State minister for finance, regional development and home affairs and the chairman of Munich Airport’s supervisory board, said, “With this target we are underscoring the enormous importance attached to climate protection by the airport and the Bavarian state government. We’re not just talking about it. We’re taking action and implementing innovative measures to effectively reduce emissions at the airport. Once again, Munich Airport is a trailblazer for all of Germany.”

Dr Michael Kerkloh, CEO of Flughafen Munchen, said, “As Europe’s first five-star airport, we also set very high standards for climate protection. With our far-reaching climate targets we want to help ensure that the airport’s operations and ongoing development are pursued in ways that preserve the opportunities and possibilities of future generations. With the goal of achieving carbon-neutral airport operations, we are paving the way to sustainable, resource-conserving air transportation.”

Share this story:

About Author

, editor-in-chief

Helen has worked for UKi Media & Events for nearly a decade. She joined the company as assistant editor on Passenger Terminal World and since progressed to become editor of five publications, covering everything from aviation, logistics and e-commerce to meteorology. She has a love for travel and property and has redeveloped three houses in three years. When she’s not editing magazines, she’s running around after her two boys and their partner in crime, Pete the pug.

Comments are closed.